Tuesday, December 4, 2018

THEY HAD ONE JOB TO DO

MUSING - December 03, 2018


THEY HAD ONE JOB TO DO


Mark 14:32-42
Then they came to a place called Gethsemane. He said to his disciples, "Stay here while I pray." He took Peter, James, and John with him and began to feel distressed and anguished. He said to them, "My anguish is so great that I feel as if I'm dying. Wait here, and stay awake." After walking a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if it were possible he might not have to suffer what was ahead of him. He said, "Abba! Father! You can do anything. Take this cup of suffering away from me. But let your will be done rather than mine." He went back and found them asleep. He said to Peter, "Simon, are you sleeping? Couldn't you stay awake for one hour? Stay awake, and pray that you won't be tempted. You want to do what's right, but you're weak." He went away again and prayed the same prayer as before. He found them asleep because they couldn't keep their eyes open. They didn't even know what they should say to him. He came back a third time and said to them, "You might as well sleep now. It's all over. The time has come for the Son of Man to be handed over to sinners. Get up! Let's go! The one who is betraying me is near."

This person had one job to do, paint two parallel yellow lines in the middle of the road. For mile upon mile he had done just that. And then something happened. Maybe he dozed for just a moment or maybe he was distracted momentarily. For what ever the reason, he failed to do the one thing he was supposed to do.

Jesus gave Peter, James, and John one job to do, wait and stay awake. He had told them, "My anguish is so great that I feel as if I'm dying." Three times he prayed and they slept. One simple job, and they failed ... repeatedly!

Imagine for a moment that your best friend had just told you that they felt like they were dying and they asked you to wait and watch over them while they prayed. What would you do? Now put yourself in the other place. You are the one who feels like your dying. What would you expect of your friends?

I would expect to pray with my friend and have them pray with me. I certainly wouldn't expect them to fall asleep when I was at my darkest hour.

Visit my daily blog. https://RVingFulltimeWithTomAndElla.com/

And my sermons blog http://ThomasEWillia my ms.blogspot.com/?m=1

All content (except quotations) © 2018 Thomas E. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment