Sunday, November 27, 2011

LP Tank Empty On A Cold Morning - Who Is Going To Switch Tanks?



            I awoke about six o’clock this morning and heard the furnace running.  When I went into the bathroom I realized that only cold air was coming out of the vent.  So I said to myself, “Tom!”  And I answered, “Yeah, I know the propane tank is empty.” To which I replied, “One of us is going to have to out and switch tanks.”  “Well, you do it then because you are so much stronger than I am,” I said to myself.  I always fall for that type of flattery so, of course, I got dressed and went out and changed over the tanks.
            (What?  You don’t have those kinds of conversations with yourself early on a cold and blustery day?) Yeah, right!
Now some of you may be asking, “Why don’t you have an automatic switch over on your tanks?”  To with I’ll reply, “I do.  But I like to know when one tank is empty instead of waiting until both tanks are empty to discover that I have no propane.”  
And just to ease your minds about us being cold.  We weren’t, because I have the electric fireplace going for supplemental heat.  When the outside temperature is above freezing, I bump the electric heat up a couple degrees and lower the furnace a couple of degrees.  Then the furnace becomes the supplemental heat and the fireplace the main heat source.  The electric is more efficient but the furnace has to be running to keep the holding tanks warm.
This is our first winter in the Hitch Hiker and I'm still learning just how "Four Season" it really is.  We haven't gotten into the truly cold weather yet but so far we are snug as a bug in a rug.
That is an odd expression isn't it?  Just how snug can a bug be?  Being the curious type, and having access to all the accumulated knowledge of the world at my finger tips, I went on line and found the following. From Shakespeare Garrick's vagary, or, England runmad 1769: "If she  has the mopus's, I'll have her, as snug as abug in a rug."  Interestingly the meaning of the line is, If she has the money, I'll have her as snug as a bug in a blanket.  




No comments:

Post a Comment