Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 December 31 - New Years Eve


            I don’t make New Year Resolutions.  Never have.  I’ve jokingly said that my resolution is to not make resolutions.  I therefore make and break it at the same time.
I do make PLANS though.  And my biggest plan for the coming year is to finally get our home-on-wheels rolling again.  As much as I love our seasonal site here at Cutty’s Des MoinesCampground, I bought a fifth wheel so that I could see new sights.  To change my front yard from time to time. 
            Part of the reason that we have remained anchored in one spot for the last four years was that we were both still employed with full time jobs … to start with.  We had our third oldest grandchild here locally and wanted to wait for him to graduate high school was another reason to stay put.  After we retired (and before we were eligible for Medicare) the only insurance we could afford was good only in Iowa, which meant no extended out-of-state travel.  Starting with January 2012, none of those are concerns anymore.
            So, I want to do some traveling this Spring, Summer and Fall.  Come Fall/Winter of 2012 we plan to go to Texas for the Winter.  I would like to find a good year-around campground/resort in the Austin area to be our basecamp while there.  However, I don’t want to be nailed to the ground there.  I want to do some exploring!  I’d like to see the gulf coast and the far west hill country.  I’d like to do some boondocking on BLM land.
·       What do you resolve / plan to do in the coming year?
·       What do you know about camping in and around the  / Cedar Park area of Texas
·       Do you know of any good public land camping areas in Texas?
·       What are “must see” and “must do” things we should investigate while in Texas?


   To my friends and family everywhere,
   Happy New Year! Bonne Annee, Prosit Neujahr, Akimashite Omedetto Gozaimasu, Saehae Bock Mani ba deu sei yo, Manigong Bagong Taon, S Novim Godom, Feliz Ano ~Nuevo, Chuc Mung Tan Nien, and Feliz Ano Novo.

This may turn into a very interesting New Years Eve.  We’re going to Lake Robbins tonight to take photographs.  That is always fun. 
Starting tonight we will have the added excitement of “an intense storm system” moving across our area tonight with “very strong winds … from 30 to 40 mph with gusts in excess of 55 mph.”  The highest winds are supposed to hit us during the day on Sunday.  These are the kind of things that make living in an RV really exciting.
Winds like these can take down limbs and power lines.  Battery backup is a wonderful thing.  Well, if we are still ‘wheels down’ tomorrow, I’ll post more.
Have a Wonderful New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment